Remembering Grandad

Hi Everyone,

On the 13th August my Grandad sadly passed away very suddenly from cancer. I found out on the Friday, said goodbye to him on the Saturday and he died on the Sunday. My heart is broken and I want to use the blog as ways to track my life, my thoughts and things that are important to me. So I want to share the reading I wrote for his funeral. Unfortunately I was not in a good state to read it out myself so another did on my behalf. Please be respectful if you wish to comment and I just hope this gives an insight into what an amazing man my Grandad was. I miss him so much already. 

Love always,
Lily Alice xo

Remembering Grandad

Grandad and I were always very close. I spent many weekends of my childhood staying with him and Angie. In summer we’d have barbeques and do colouring together in my tent in the garden. He’d always be sure to compliment the cakes and dinners me and Angie would cook together.

Grandad was very creative and would often tell me stories, some well-known fairy tales, some he would make up himself. Once, grandad was telling me a bedtime story of ‘little red riding hood’. I was sat on his lap, taking in every word. He shouted “all the better to eat you with!” and frightened me so much that I jumped and flew off his lap and ended up at the other end of the lounge. We were all in fits of laughter! Another time, he was telling me a story of his own creation about a witch who lived in the woods. It was full of magic and mystery and kept me so hooked it stretched on for two bedtime stories. I’ll never forget how he ended the story with how the witch went to the cupboard… and pulled out… a tin of heinz tomato soup! I thought it was hilarious.

Grandad was a very kind hearted and hilarious man, often causing mischief with us grandkids which earned him the nickname ‘silly grandad’. He had an infectious smile which came complete with a brilliant chuckle. He’d do anything to put a smile on our faces. I see grandads’ influence in all us grandchildren. As I got older, myself and grandad would have brilliant chats about everything, sharing stories, having debates about goings on in the world, future plans and ambitions…

These are all memories I shall cherish forever. Like all of you in this room, I just wish he wasn’t taken so soon, as all of us wish for more time, but no amount of time would ever be enough. He was a very loved man and the best grandad. He will be enterally missed and forever be in our hearts.

I’d like to finish by sharing a poem I wrote after I found out Grandad had passed away.

Twenty years ago
We said our first hello
The biggest grandads girl
Adored more than you know

Twenty years later
Fate became cruel…

I said see you soon
Tried to fight the tears
As I said “I love you”
“I love you too”

I begged the world
To end your pain
And you fell asleep forever
The very next day. 

Comments

Popular Posts